Does SPWakeUp break your Microsoft support rights on MOSS?

May 19, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I tried to use this tool but get following error:

Insufficient SQL database permissions for user 'ZZZ' in database 'XXX' on SQL Server instance 'YYY'. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'proc_getObjectsByClass', database '..

Does this mean that spwakup access the DB directly to enum sites? As far as I know, accessing MOSS db directly would break Microsoft support.

Btw, I dont use farm admin account, regular service account with access to sharepoint, I can log on using this account to access all sites in IE but not via the tool. Please help and looking for your comments.

May 22, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Well that's bizarre.  No idea why you'd run into an SQL error.

In answer to your question, no, the tool never tries to interface directly with SQL Server.  All it does is done via the Sharepoint APIs.  The source is posted to the site if you want to look through it.

May 23, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Thanks for your reply. Agree, I've looked into your source and look fine.

Since I get the errors above, what kind of permissions is required? (I can logon to the sites with the same account).

Thanks.

May 27, 2009 at 3:28 AM

The underlying SharePoint API used by spwakeup.exe does require some database privileges to run.

You can use the server farm account to run spwakeup.exe -- that should solve your permissions issues.